Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Mustang needlepoint pillow

I didn't get my driver's license until I was 25 years old.  I took driver's ed in high school but because my oldest brother had totaled the family car when he was in high school (the insurance company refused to pay--and that's another story), my father refused to let any more of his children (he had a total of 9) get a driver's license.  Thanks, Daddy.

I taught cataloging in summer school the summer of 1967 and lived in the summer school faculty dorm.  Upstairs were housed six physical education teachers/coaches working on their master's degrees.  One of the guys, an assistant principal in Wilmington, also moon-lighted as a car salesman.  When he learned I didn't have a car, he proposed to sell me one.  But first I must get my learner's permit.  So, the summer of 1967, after my car arrived, I learned how to drive a car, going from Boone to Linville every afternoon about 4 pm.  The windows were wind-up and as we left Boone,  the windows were open.  As we approached Linville, the sun had dropped behind the mountains.  I had to force myself to take a hand off the wheel to roll up the window.  I also smoked in those days, but it took me forever to be able to smoke and drive.  I still marvel at that.


My new car was a 1967 v-8 289 Ford Mustang, lamentably with no air conditioning, but that wasn't a problem for me since I always lived in the mountains when I drove it.  After Needle Nicely moved to Florida for the winter, I left the mustang in NC because of the salt air.  I owned it for over 25 years and it was a beauty, though the floor board was rather suspect from winter salt when I finally sold it!
EDIT:  After all, it had been owned by a old maid librarian!

I did this pillow from a kit from Studio Two before I sold my car.  It gives you the idea that this is possible with any model car as a commemorative pillow.  Why not?

2 comments:

  1. My commemorative car was 40 years older--the Rolls Royce from my father's line drawing. Good memories, just like your pillow holds for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. car pillow
    Travel pillows can prevent neck and back pain and can make your trip much more comfortable and enjoyable. We can help you choose the best travel pillow!

    ReplyDelete