Saturday, November 18, 2017

Clearing out clutter

Anyone who knows my mother's family and visits their homes, quickly figures out that they are a group of accumulators.  That is such a nicer word than hoarder!  My husband, on the other hand, is a minimalist.  I have never seen a bare surface that I didn't want to put things on.  He prefers to admire the bare surface.  We have managed to bump along for 26 years, with my still indulging myself with only slight forays on his part to sweep things away.

Until this summer when I had a long bout of recovery from a surgically-removed blood clot from the top of my right foot (and subsequent inactivity for almost 3 months).  He was traumatized by the contemplation of all that I had managed to accumulate and by the fear of my death.  Upon my recovery, he issued an ultimatum--"if you don't gather it up and offer it to various groups; when you are gone, I (Arthur) am putting all of it in a dumpster and having it hauled off".

Soooo, the purging has begun.  Thank goodness, Arthur is willing to take my bags of goodies wherever I dictate.  I accompany him to our local independent bookstore where they give minor cash credit for some paperback books.  The have a wonderful library-supported used book store that takes the remainder, including hardbacks.  Cooking magazines (I love cooking magazines), have been consigned tables at both entrances of our local library.  People know to help themselves.  Truthfully, I only suffered a twinge about all of this.  I had them, but ignored them.  I finally realized that he was right and it was time to let them go to other appreciative readers.

I bought a set of Woman's Day International Cookbook when I was in my 20s.  The set has occupied a place of honor on one of my bookcases ever since.  My mind wonders if I ever cooked anything out of it.  Therefore, there was no pain as I pulled the volumes from the shelf and sent them to our local library book depot.  Someone else will treasure the set.

Speaking of cooking, thank goodnesss that when Trubey and I opened Needle Nicely in Vero Beach in 1981, we lived together.  Trubey was then a wonderful cook (and may still be, though she lives alone now).  My mother had burned almost everything she cooked--one time she took 3 pots to cook banana pudding.   It never burned, but I had 3 stuck pans.  I have been know as "Blow Torch Mary" by my nearest and dearest.  Anyway, while living with Trubey, I cleaned up after her and managed to pick up so many little tricks.  All of that stood me in good stead when I finally got married.  My husband, a Manhattanite, likes good food.  That has led me to adquire a set of recipes with which I am comforable.  The 1961 (1st edition) of the NY Times Cookbook is my go-to refereence and contains a variation of the red sauce that Arthur now makes for our Italian entrees.  I use his sauce when I make Trubey's lasagna.  Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Downsizing isn't easy. I've been working on it for over 11 years now, since we moved from TX to MA. The "boys" recently built new homes and I'm looking forward to sending a lot of "treasures" to at least one.

    ReplyDelete