Saturday, April 21, 2012

You've stitched it, now what?

So, you've ruined the family budget by buying a needlepoint canvas that speaks to you.  Compounded the problem by purchasing fibers that are just too, too.  You've completed the stitching and now it's time to decide how your jewel should be finished.  Framed, pillowed--??  

The reality is that needlepoint shop owners are aging.  Even worse, needlepoint finishers are even older.  In these tough economic times, I have many customers who are stitching projects and tucking the finished item into dresser drawers or closet shelves.  Finishers are getting older and retiring.  Their prices are increasing.  Just because you tuck projects away doesn't mean that one day it will be cheaper to finish them or that the finisher will be as competent as those we have today.  I get lots of phone calls asking about finishing prices.  Please be aware that price does not reflect quality of finishing.  You must see samples to make an educated decision.

Needlepoint shops must be careful about who they select to do your finishing.  You, as a customer, must also decide who will do your finishing.    Needle Nicely has over 20 finishers for various items.  We have 5 finishers for belts, depending on what style of finishing is required.  We have 2 finishers who do door-knob finishing,  one soft and one hard. Customers don't realize that there are so many choices.  Needle Nicely has one rug finisher and one frame finisher.  We also have two Christmas ornament finishers.  Purses are sent to 5 finishers, depending on the style of finishing.  Some of these finishers do multiple items, some only do one item.  Needle Nicely has one framer who is local and who we highly recommend.  We also have one upholsterer we use locally.  However, there are some upholstery jobs we prefer to refer to other finishers because we have discovered no local finishers who satisfy our standards.  Too often upholsterers treat needlepoint like fabric.  Not a good idea for a successful finish!

 When I tell you I don't finish an item, don't insist.  That means I don't have a finisher who consistently does a job I like.  Take my word for it.  I don't like to sell items that I don't have a finisher for.  I will tell you that when you purchase the item.  That gives you a head's up that it may be difficult to finish in an acceptable manner.  However, we're in a small rural area and I realize that people in large, urban centers have artisans that we don't have.

About 10 years ago, I sent a special style of purse to a handbag finisher that had always done wonderful work.  The model came back with defects and I returned it to the finisher.  When it looked no better the second time I received it, I sent it back to the finisher for their use or disposal, even though I had purchased the canvas and stitched it for a shop model.   I decided not to sell that style of purse since I had no finisher for it.

4 comments:

  1. Very enlightening, Mary Agnes--I never realized there might be so many different finishers for different objects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mary Agnes for this valuable information. I think you should repost this blogpost to the Needlepoint Facebook Page. Everyone needs to read this.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary Agnes, I would love to have your opinion on how to finish the Christmas Pear Banner that quite a few of us are doing as a home study from Amy's. Thank you

    ReplyDelete