Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Destination Dallas Classes

Color me heart-broken.  I have been sitting here, typing fluidly and with great perception--and I hit the wrong key and everything disappeared.  Obviously, in the flow of my thoughts, I too often forget to save my content.  I will try to reconstruct my previous brilliance!!

Destination Dallas 2016 occurs in Dallas beginning Sept. 17 (Saturday) through Sept. 19 (Monday) with travel days of September 16 and September 20.  It is to the trade (no non-shopowners admitted). I made my airplane reservation months ago so I could pay with Capital one miles.  I made my hotel reservation very early, because last year I procrastinated and had to stay at a "satellite" hotel--that meant at least 20 minutes to get to the show, each way.  Minimum.  The shuttle drivers are delightful, but it's a pain to not be able to just get on an elevator.

I watched the DD website like a hawk so that I could have the optimal chance of getting the classes I really wanted.  The system is wonderful--there is a free business seminar (the one I selected was beginning media usage).  Then, you get a free technique class; additional classes cost a mere $20 each because the needlepoint community of designers and fiber suppliers offer the class materials gratis. They realize the need to spread the knowledge and further the industry.  The classes I selected were: a sort of informal class with Tony Minieri; a Easter project taught by Gretchen Janacek from Threads in Charlottesville, VA; and a floral ribbon class from Laura Taylor from Aristeia in CA.  My impatience overwhelmed me, and last week I called Kathy (in charge of classes) to find out my fate.  I had the good fortune to be early enough to score all four of my classes.  I'm so pleased.  Hooray
There is one proviso--be aware that morning classes begin at 8:00 am and evening classes end at 8pm.  That's in addition to walking the who knows how many floors of the market in between.   I can envision a mid-afternoon nap for the old lady!

There are 3 types of needlework markets--an on-line show that happens, I think, twice a year (I haven't taken advantage of this type); convention hall shows which occur twice a year; and my preference, the hotel room show.  Hotels room shows are less expensive (for both attendees and exhibitors).  They are also closer and more personal.

Wholesale markets are a wonderful combination of things.  It permits shopowners to get to interact with each other at early morning coffee, during classes, or at after-show cocktail hours.  It similarly allows shopowners to rub elbows with the designers of the canvases and get to know their suppliers on a personal level.  When I started in this industry (centuries ago), I could cover a market in a day and a half.  Today, at the end of the third day I am still scrambling because I know so many more people I have to chat with.  I try valiantly to deal with all my ordering, but as often happens, I find myself drifting into personal conversation.  I've known some of these people over 40 years--quite a history.  And like an old war-horse, just dancing to get back to another market!




2 comments:

  1. We'll be waiting for a full report, Mary Agnes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like so much fun, will wait for updates and pictures.

    ReplyDelete