Took the last of the Christmas stockings to the post office yesterday afternoon. It's always such a relief when all of the items that customers expect actually are finished and on their way. I expect one pillow on Monday that I wasn't sure the finisher could get done, but she made a special effort. With that hurdle out of the way, I can concentrate on what I'll be teaching come "the season". Demand for my classes has been down since the hurricanes (some people still haven't returned--just tried to sell their places and move on) and because of the slow economy. Still, I try to find things that will catch people's interest.
Today I worked on what I'll call my Leaf medallion class. This is what I managed to stitch today in between waiting on customers and listening to Madame Butterfly from the Metropolitan Opera.
Anyway, you can see where I didn't crop the bottom as closely as I usually do. The canvas has a knot, so I need to make the stitch in that area cover it. Something like a Scotch stitch or slanted gobelin should fit the bill. Actually, even a tent stitch will cover it--knots can usually be forced to the back out of the way.
The fibers I'm using are splendor, silk lame braid, watercolors, and sparkle rays. I started out with perle cotton, rather than the splendor, but it didn't cover well for the upright stitch.
I want my finished design to be about 10x10 on 13m. So far, I've got a 4x4, so I'll be spending some time flipping through stitch books for ideas. More on this at a later date.