Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A disappointment; or, that's life?

Well, January 11, 2012, I was delighted to blog that I had completed the stitching of a canvas to be made into a key fob.



I also commented that I wanted the finished model the next day, not in 4 to 6 weeks.  Silly girl!  I received the model (after 2 inquiring phone calls) last Tuesday after two months.  Here was the "beauty" that I unpacked:
So, another finisher crossed off the "Use" list.  Especially since I had taken the time to call and ask if there were any space requirements for the fob attachment.  I called the company, explained my unhappiness to the woman who answered the telephone, and asked "Why did he continue when he saw part of the phone number and name was being covered up?".  She said, "Please hold, and I'll let you ask him that".  I hung up.  Great customer service/damage control.  There are other finishers out there and I will find one who will finish a key fob reasonably, I hope.

On a more positive note, Diane asked as a comment on my previous finishing blog how I would finish Melissa Shirley's Christmas pear banner currently being stitched  by customers of Amy's Golden Strand.
Amy's latest newsletter shows how one of her customers has framed one of the banners (I think Thanksgiving).  It looks gorgeous and is a wonderful way to go.  Other options that I can envision are:
         a.  Adding a fabric frame with a tiny inner fabric cord (or it could be metallic), perhaps 2 or 3" in width, keeping in mind the desired size of the finished item.  The outer edge would be finished with either a self-welt or a commercial cord.  And depending on how fancy you want, you could do plain or add multicolored tassel fringe.  Then, you could either do a simple slip casing on the back of the top where you could slip a rod for unobtrusive hanging; or do a few fabric loops (I can't think of the correct term right now, of course) through which you can slip a decorative rod with finials and from the ends of which you can hang tassels. 
            b.  Take if to a frame shop and ask them to mount the canvas on a board.  Have them attach grosgrain ribbon to the edge of the wood and have them also attach a ratchet hanger to the back.  Then you can hang it on the wall.  A totally different look since it eliminates the frame and its attendant questions (color, width, etc.).  It could also then be displayed on an easel rather than hung on the wall.
             c.  Finish it as a 3-d footed piece like some of the smaller ornaments are shown.  You could have the edge be shirred or plain, the feet polka dotty or stripey or whatever you desire.

Above all, the finishing of an item should be accomplished with the stitcher and his/her environment in mind.  


No comments:

Post a Comment