Wednesday, August 8, 2012

technology wins--again

Yesterday I went to my HP flatbed scanner/printer/fax to scan some reports from my credit card processor so I could email them to a company that TNNA has contracted with to give needlework shops better prices for accepting credit/debit cards.  Except--when I hit the start scan button on my printer, etc., etc., a message came up that said that "this device is not connected to your computer and cannot perform this function."  My scream was probably heard 30 miles away.  Said machine just downloaded photographs from my digital camera, so I know it is connected.  I turned it off, I turned my computer off, I turned them both back on.  Nothing.  So I started searching on "my computer" and other parts of my computer programming to see if I could locate the scanner function.  I finally discovered it at HP Solution Center.  It let me do the scans and even email them.  But the unmentionable piece of equipment still denies that it has any relationship with my computer, even while it is scanning away.  I don't have the energy to try to trouble-shoot the problem since I accomplished my purpose.  I'll be like Scarlett O'Hara and worry about that tomorrow.

I'm glad I persisted with the scanner because today I got a phone call about the rates I'm currently paying my credit card processor.  The recipient of my scans was horrified at how much I'm paying and is expediting an alternative plan.  All with the same company I have been using.  Hmmm.  In this business climate any money you can save on overhead is "a good thing". 

2 comments:

  1. Well it sounds like technology might have won at giving you a headache, but you prevailed on the credit card companies! I owe you a phone call to place an order, but have been so crazy I can't even remember my name at the end of the day! Hope all is well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That happens to me too. I always have to go through the HP Solution Center. Or I use the computer it thinks it has the relationship with. I feel you!

    ReplyDelete