Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Flamingo sandal week #2

I have to chuckle when I look at this week's progress on my flamingo canvas.  The black is a particular source of amusement.  I am known for my good vision (well, that term may be inaccurate, perhaps sharp-sightedness would be closer).  I have had cataract surgery in both eyes and wear bifocals, even though my vision uncorrected is now 20-20. I like my bifocals for finding missed stitches for customers and a myriad of life's necessities.  However, last week when I was stitching one evening at home on the flamingo canvas, I realized I was having difficulty seeing the black.  I decided that I would do all the eyes and beaks on Sunday afternoon when it was bright and sunny.  Fast forward to Sunday afternoon.  A football game is on the television and the sky is grey and wintery.  I still can't see the black.  So I pull out one of the "box" flash lights we use when the lights go out during hurricanes and hold it against my canvas with my left hand, stitching with my right hand.  Bless K's Creations lap frame stand!  Even more amazing was that my husband offered to hold the flash light for me--that must not have been that good a football game!!

I drew in the outlines of the flamingo bodies 1/2" below the painted area so I could extend the stitching without additional painting (though the new canvases will have that area painted in).  I did the left hand green flamingo's wing in the Byzantine Scotch stitch and started the periwinkle flamingo's wing, using the patio cashmere stitch.  I completed all the eyes and beaks.  I have also worked on the background, but my progress has been slow.  I plan to teach this as a class next month, so must get speedier in my stitching.

1 comment:

  1. Loving the colors! And, great progress, given that there were some pretty crappy football games on this past weekend! :-) I use a white dishtowel spread across my lap when I'm stitching dark areas or my eyes are tired... the light probably worked wonders, but I sometimes like the quick 'cheat' of the towel- especially after a long day at the office staring at a computer screen and spreadsheets!

    ReplyDelete