Saturday, April 15, 2017

Colonoscopy and another example of a small town

I've been dodging and diving to avoid another colonoscopy for over 12 years.  My gp has guilted me into it. After he saved my "bacon" this winter, I felt I owed him one last colonoscopy  So, tomorrow I will consume only clear liquids, orange jello, and the dreaded product that will provide the "cleansing" that isn't quite as chi-chi as some would have you believe.

This is definitely my last one.  Colon cancer is an ugly death; but I hope if I ever get it,  I will be able to find a Hemlock Society to help me deal with it.

Last week Needle Nicely had a sale with Easter eggs containing discounts from 20% to 1 60% (no one got that one, though someone did get a 50%).  It was a successful sale, but quite exhausting. I don't know why everytime I have a sale, people start lamenting that I'm going out of business.  I have 400 belts in stock and about 150 Christmas stockings and a multitude of Christmas ornaments.  It doesn't look like I'm going out of business any time soon,

This morning my husband and I went bookstore shopping.  Vero has one of the best independent bookstores, The Vero Beach Book Center.  My husband dropped me off to park our car and I proceeded to the front door.  There, I encountered David Walker, one of Trubey's nephews.  He married a Vero Beach girl, so it wasn't a surprise I encountered him with his daughter while they were exiting the bookstore.

It was great to see David--when he was about 12 or so, he was going to marry me because he didn't want me to be alone.  He and his brother spent summers in Blowing Rock along with their parents and Trubey's son and daughter.  They would spend all day roaming the streets of Blowing Rock, and especially the town park.  They knew they could always come to Needle Nicely for candy or cookies, a telephone, and more importantly, Mary Agnes to take care of bullies.  The fact that in those days I weighed about 120 lbs at 5'6", I don't think that would have struck fear in the heart of any bully.

1 comment:

  1. I remember you in the Blowing Rock days--you could definitely have taken down any bully!

    ReplyDelete